The site contains two Grade II listed buildings: Winchester House (which ranges between 1777 and 1820) and the former Southwark Fire Station (1878).
Winchester House was originally built as an 18th Century workhouse, which was later converted into a hat factory and private residences. Together these buildings were purchased by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) in 1878 and became the first London Fire Brigade Headquarters. From 1878 the site was extensively redeveloped to serve its new role.
The red-bricked fire station on Southwark Bridge Road was the first new building on the site. Its design was so influential that it became the model for many of the stations built across London in the 1880s.
Over the years the site expanded to include Robert Pearsall’s grand Gothic wing built in 1883 which was demolished in 1969, and an extension to Southwark Bridge Road in 1911 which still stands today.
The site remained the headquarters for the London Fire Brigade until the 1930s when a new building opened on Albert Embankment.
Or write to us at:
Freepost Public Consultation (Cascade)
26 Noel Street